This post was originally posted on Reddit, we published the post with the author's permission. you can read more about the post author at the end of this page.
I want to buy a backgammon board but I’m unsure what to buy or search for.
So, here I will recommend some sites you can look at and make up your mind:
- https://www.ymimports.com/collections/backgammon (International)
- https://gammonstuff.com/ (US & International)
- https://crisloid.com/ (US & International)
- http://www.fth-backgammon.de/ (Germany & International)
- https://www.gammonvillage.com/ (US & International)
- https://www.lojadogamao.com.br/ (Brazil & International)
- https://www.gammoner.us/ (US/Germany & International)
- http://www.wycliffebrothers.com/ (US/Canada & International)
- http://www.869moderntavla.com/ (Turkey & International)
- https://www.manopoulos.com/pages/backgammon-collections (Greece & International)
- https://www.fmgammon.com/ (Turkey & International)
- https://gammon.se/backgammon-e (Sweden/Europe & International)
I want to see some reviews/unboxings before buying a backgammon board/equipment.
You can find some ‘ok’ unboxings on YouTube, but there is no place to go other than Justin McKenna’s channel:
If you want written reviews with detailed photos, you must hit up Backgammon Board Fan’s site:
What books are available so I can improve my backgammon skills?
That’s the most up-to-date list (post-A.I. era) that will help your backgammon level of play:
- Backgammon: basics to badass (M. Olsen) – Complete beginner to intermediate. Table of contents and more: https://www.bkgm.com/books/Olsen-FromBeginnerToBadass.html
- Cube like a boss (M. Olsen) – Intermediate.
- Backgammon: Pure strategy (M. Olsen) – Intermediate/Advanced. Table of contents and more: https://www.bkgm.com/books/Olsen-BackgammonPureStrategy.html
- 501 essential backgammon problems (B. Robertie) – Complete beginner to intermediate. You can buy it here: https://thegammonpress.com/product/501-essential-backgammon-problems/
- How to play the opening in backgammon (Part 1): A new way of thinking (B. Robertie) – Beginner to intermediate. You can buy it here: https://thegammonpress.com/product/how-to-play-the-opening-in-backgammon-part-1-a-new-way-of-thinking/
- Opening concepts (Michihito Kageyama & Roland Herrera) – Beginner to intermediate. You can buy it here: https://bgmichy.com/opening-concepts/
- Endgame technique (Michihito Kageyama & Roland Herrera) – Intermediate/Advanced. You can buy it here: https://bgmichy.com/
There are tutorials on playing the game on the internet?
For me, nothing beats the Backgammon Galaxy’s tutorial on playing the game and the “Beginner’s mistakes in backgammon” series, so here are the links:
- How to play backgammon: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4fhZXAGchzIx1SaB5Byyz-MQeA3NOZww
- Beginner’s mistakes in backgammon: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4fhZXAGchzJsFcqsWsE8X7dHxirKS02t
I want to watch good matches and tournaments online.
You can find many recorded backgammon matches on YouTube, there are – also – specialized channels with tons of matches and full tournaments recorded, so here’s a list of them:
- Ace Point Backgammon channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/APBGLIVE/about
- Backgammon Galaxy’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BackgammonGalaxy/about
- United States Backgammon Federation channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/USBGF64/about
- German Backgammon Federation channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLlLtGd6f7knAsiG88jORyg/about
- Mochy’s Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/bgmochy/about
- Rain’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHxzjvHrHdn0GFu1PMb5RBg/about
- Michi’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0gwo1xTOulIVj-14SuG7w
- Gibraltar Championship channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCywZW-YBS4Fu7TYj9LB1Y6Q/about
- Takeuchi Yoshito’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCywZW-YBS4Fu7TYj9LB1Y6Q/about
- Hideaki Ueda’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF0OdqohDg_rC_T9bGpOEog/about
I WANT MORE.
So, if you still thirsty for backgammon information, here some assorted links:
- The backgammon vault of the internet: https://www.bkgm.com/
- If you want to know more about the Backgammon Masters Awarding Body (and the backgammon Federations around the world): http://bgmastersab.com/
That’s all, folks. If you have more information and helpful links for the newcomers drop down here in the comments!